Self-Care Training at Shadow Mountain Recovery
We place a strong emphasis on practicing self-care during your stay in our recovery centers. These self-care strategies play a huge role in maintaining a positive outlook and keeping a stable mental health during treatment. The following are key aspects of self-care that we stress at Shadow Mountain Recovery
- Sleep Habits: We encourage all of our patients to partake in healthy sleeping behavior, while at a Shadow Mountain Recovery center. Being tired and sleep-deprived can exacerbate mental health problems, and can be a major obstacle in recovery.
- Eating Habits: Having good dieting practices has a ripple effect on addiction recovery, because it helps stabilize your body’s physical health, which, in turn, helps improve mental health. Both of these are key aspects of addiction recovery, which must be struck, in balance, to have full effect.
- Exercise Habits: Keeping active helps you get in that physical health that we reference above. We encourage our patients to partake in an active lifestyle, while they are in treatment at Shadow Mountain Recovery. In addition to striving for physical health, exercise helps your brain naturally produce dopamine, which may be necessary after a stretch of substance abuse.
- Medication: We offer medically-assisted treatment that is augmented by individual, group, and family therapy. A large part of self care is taking your medication on a regular basis, as prescribed by your physician at the center. Failing to do this could stunt the effectiveness of the medication, and could potentially lead to more problematic issues.
- Hygiene Habits: Developing good self esteem and being comfortable in one’s skin is an important component of recovery. A good step towards this is having good hygienic habits, which is a key element of the self-care training that we promote.
- Emotional Communication: Self-care isn’t just about taking care of yourself physically, or making yourself comfortable in a situation. It’s also about being able to communicate difficult emotions, so that you don’t bottle them up and deal with them in problematic ways. Emotional communication is an important skill that is developed in our different therapy programs at our centers.
Call to Learn More
Learn more about our self-care training program by giving our team a call, today. Our caring staff will help answer any questions you have about our addiction recovery programs, and the different methods that we use to bring effective treatment to a wide variety of patients.