Shadow Mountain Recovery Gender-Specific Treatment
We provide gender-specific treatment at Shadow Mountain Recovery. We realize that everybody’s addiction, recovery process and needs are different and require individualized care. Part of that individualization resides in the way different genders are affected by different substances and addictions to them. It is important to understand the different ways men and women react to addiction and how they cope with the difficulties that recovery brings. Here at Shadow Mountain Recovery, we understand these differences and use them to the advantage of our patients.
Why Offer Gender-Specific Treatment?
Because men and women experience so fundamentally differently, it only makes sense that their treatment should be different as well. There are a few reasons why gender-specific treatment is beneficial:
- Men and women’s bodies are fundamentally different and respond to substances in different ways.
- Men and women tend to become involved in substance abuse for different reasons.
- Men and women usually recover from addiction recovery at different paces and in different ways.
- Men and women cope with the struggles they face on the road to recovery in different ways.
- When men and women are together, it is natural for them to cope with the struggles of recovery by developing romantic relationships with each other. Segregating them removes that distraction and allows them to focus on getting well.
Benefits of Gender-Specific Treatment for Men
- More comfortable environment. When men are alone with other men, they will feel more comfortable being themselves and speaking openly during group discussions. We have found that men who are alone with other men speak more openly about:
- Their feelings
- Relationships with their spouse and other family members
- Self-worth and self-esteem
- Desire for control
- Fear of being sober
- Domestic violence or other physical abuse they have committed while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Less of an expectation to be “tough”. Society has reinforced an idea that men must be strong, regardless of what emotions they are feeling. A lot of men feel insecure or embarrassed when they show emotions, because they perceive it to be a sign of weakness. This is especially true around women.
- More time discussing relevant issues. Although everybody’s recovery is different, there are some issues that tend to be very common among men that are not common among women, and vice versa. Because there are no women, the men will discuss only those topics that are immediately relevant to them.
Benefits of Gender-Specific Treatment for Women
- More comfortable environment. We have found that women are much more comfortable discussing certain topics with other women, and are uncomfortable discussing many of the relevant aspects of the addiction and recovery process when men are present. Some of these topics include:
- Body image
- Experiences with sexual assault
- Experiences with domestic abuse or other forms of violence
- Traditional gender roles
- Their relationship with their family and children
- Self-worth and self-esteem
- Lower fear of judgment. Many women feel pressured by society to care for their home and children to the point where they fear that they will be judged for taking time away from their household to focus on themselves and their recovery. When they are surrounded by other women, they feel more comfortable confronting and coping with this aspect of recovery.
- More time discussing relevant issues. Although everybody’s recovery is different, there are some issues that tend to be very common among women that are not common among men, and vice versa. Because there are no men, the women will discuss only those topics that are immediately relevant to them.
CALL US TODAY!
If you or a loved one is embarking on the road to addiction recovery, we at Shadow Mountain Recovery recommend that you consider getting gender-specific treatment. If you want to hear more about the gender-specific treatment options we provide, give us a call. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have to see if our treatment facility is a good fit for you.
Don’t wait another day to get the help you or a loved one needs. Call us now.